How or where do I complete the required prerequisite courses?

Prerequisite Enrollment Options

Summer: Courses are offered through the School of Extended and International Education during the Summer.

Fall or Spring - Submit a Graduate application via Cal State Apply and select the application for "Single Subject Prerequisites" to take prerequisites for that program or "Multiple Subject Prerequisites" for the Multiple Subject Credential.

Candidates may apply to a basic credential program prior to completion of or enrollment in the prerequisites.All prerequisite coursework must be completed in order to begin a Multiple or Single credential program.

Prerequisite Courses by Program:

Multiple Subject Credential Program

  • EDUC 417 (3) School and Society*
  • *EDMS 419 (3) Identity and Agency for Socially Just Classrooms and Communities (This course will be a prerequisite for all students beginning the program on or after Fall 2017).
    Note: EDMS 419 replaces EDMS 470 as a Multiple Subject program prerequisite. Students who have already successfully completed EDMS 470 (3) Multicultural Pedagogy will be able to substitute it for EDMS 419.

Single Subject Credential Program

  • EDUC 417 (3) School and Society*
  • EDSS 418 (3) Development in Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood*

Special Education

There are no prerequisite courses.

*GE courses

Course Substitution Process:

If you believe that you completed comparable coursework, please complete the Request for Substitution form  and submit to the School of Education.  One form is required per SSU course. Transcripts and course descriptions must accompany this form.

List of alternate courses offered in the CSU system for EDUC 417 and EDUC 418

If you have any questions about this process, please contact the Credentials Office at 707-664-2832 or email